Every time I think that I’m out… they pull me back in.
I’m catching up on a few of my hobby related posts I’ve had kicking around in draft for months, so if you see a flood of miniatures rush by, don’t be alarmed!
Back in March it was the 19th birthday of GW: Aberdeen. As part of the celebrations they held a diorama contest. There were only 2 criteria – it must be a duel, and it must fit on a round, 60mm (Dreadnought) base.
Somehow, as soon as I knew the criteria I was struck by inspiration and instantly knew my theme – an “Angel” vs a Daemon, in the ruins of a church. I could picture it clearly; the angel diving through the smashed window to confront the daemon lurking within. It was a simple idea that told a story. If I pulled it off I had a good chance.
Picking my protagonists was easy. The Angel would be a Blood Angels Sanguinary Guard, and the Daemon represented by a Bloodletter of Khorne. For the setting I’d use a corner from an Imperial Basilica Administratum kit.
Building the base was easy. I added slate chips of various sizes, from the 40K Basing Kit, to simulate the rubble of the ruined church, and broke off part of the window frame to make it large enough for the Angel to fit through. Sprayed black, drybrushed various shades of grey, and given a couple of washes, and the stonework was done. The edging was picked out first in Tin Bitz, highlighted with Burnished Gold, washed, and then a very watered-down Hawk Turquise was painted into the recesses for weathering.
The Angel was assembled “stock”, with no real modifications needed. He was painted in a non-metallic metal (NMM) scheme. I didn’t follow my old method of NMM gold, and instead followed the Sanguinor guide in in the ‘Eavy Metal Painting Guide book. Personally I think it came out a little dark, but overall the effect worked well enough. White areas were painted dark grey for a base coat, highlighted with Skull White, washed with thinned Space Wolf Grey, then re-highlighted with Skull White.
The Daemon did not go so well. I now hate the Bloodletters kit with the heat of a thousand suns. I could not get the pose I wanted, and the limbs are really thin and spindly – so getting a good join when repositioning was nearly impossible. Not only that, I really could not get the right tone of red. I wanted the Daemon to be a deep red, contrasting with the golden Angel, but everything I tried came out really murky or too bright. I can’t remember how I eventually got it right by working my way up through every shade of red I could get my hands on, coupled with several washes of various colours, to provide shading.
When I assembled the diorama I discovered the Daemon’s pose didn’t quite work. His outstretched had took him too close to the Angel, throwing off the proportions and balance in the scene. I very (very!) carefully cut and repositioned him slightly, and added a helmet from the basing kit into his hand… as if he’d just dispatched one of the church’s defenders. A few touch-ups with paint and he was as good as I was going to get him.
As for the competition? I came second in the Adult’s category, losing out to a very impressive scene depicting a Pre-Heresy Imperial Fist Assault Marine Vs a World Eater.
This is a post I wrote back in February, which I’m just getting around to publishing…
Back at the start of the year I outlined a few goals, including painting at least one Warhammer 40,000 army. Since then I’ve been working away on a few things and finally have completed unit to show – the first of my Grey Knight Terminator squads.
I’ll admit, these guys took a lot longer to paint than I anticipated. I’ll really have to crank up the pace if I’m going to get an army’s worth done this year!
This is a post from earlier this year, which I’m just getting around to publishing…
Just to prove that I can finish off some complete units, here’s my Grey Knight Interceptors. I got quite bored of the non-metallic grey colour scheme part way through, so it’s made me a bit demoralised about adding any more units to this army. I’ll see how it goes…
This is a post from May, which I’m just getting around to publishing…
On a whim I decided to pick up the Nemesor Zahndrekh model, because I thought he was one of the best representations of the Necron army itself. It really didn’t take long to paint at all, and was the first time I painted a model in just the new Citadel Paint range.
The image above was taken before I based the model.
WIL WHEATON dot NET is coming back.. Because it’s always good to go back home.
I love this song (and the video!)