This will be the log for me upgrading my desktop PC.
As well as upgrading the components, I’ll also be doing a couple of mods to the case.
Hardware-wise, the plan is:
- Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz processor
- DFI LanParty Pro875B
- 2×160GB Western Digital Caviar SE SATA drives
- Lian Li PC61 Anodised Black Aluminum
- 4x DVD+/-RW drive
- 2GB RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce card of some description
- Phillips Digital 5.1 surround sound card
- Belkin 802.11b wireless card
Nothing too advanced for modding the case… Some of these I’ve already done either in the last few days, they were bought, or they’re from my last case.
- Painting the inside of the case black, rather than leaving bare metal
- Swapping the case fans for quieter ones.
- Stealth the DVD (already done)
- Side window (already done)
- Matrix Orbital MX232 USB LCD display (already done)
- Braiding/modularising the PSU cables (already done)
- Internal iPod docking system
Of these, only the iPod dock is worth mentioning. Basically, I envisage it as some sort of slot in a spare drive bay that the iPod slides into. Some sort of rail system guides the iPod onto the connector.
I’ll update this article as the project progresses. I’ll also start adding pictures as soon as I can.