I just caught up with Game of Thrones season 3 (because, y’know… it happened), so I decided to post up various thoughts about the the show.
Note: I haven’t watched season 2 at all… I have it on Blu-Ray, but haven’t got around to watching it yet. I’ve read the books, so I know ~80% of the story… I just wanted to watch season 3 for the build up to that thing everyone is traumatised by.
- The Theon Greyjoy plot-line was more interesting (and IMO) better done than in the book.
- Roose Bolton is one of the most compelling characters on the show. In the books I barely paid attention to him. I get an older Daniel Craig’s James Bond feel off of him.
- Roose Bolton’s Bastard is… well… a complete and utter bastard. I like the show’s portrayal of him, and the actor is very convincing.
- Arya Stark looks almost no older than in season 1.
- On the other hand, Brann Stark looks quite a bit older. This could cause the show issues in the future?
- What happened to Arya’s Braavosi sword, Needle? In the book it’s a touchstone for her character, but in the series it seems she’s lost it?
- Tywin Lannister is a scary dude. Scary, scary dude.
- I think I prefer the Melisadre plot-line from the book, but I guess it meant we get to keep Gendry around a bit longer.
- That thing (spoilers, but awesome) in episode 9 came across as a lot more ‘clinical’ than in the book, and as a result seemed all the more brutal. Not sure which version I preferred more yet.
- Daario Naharis reminds me of Brad Pitt’s Achilles in “Troy”. That is not a good thing.
- Awesome odd-couples in the show: Arya and The Hound, plus Brienne and Jaime.